Sometimes, you just want to cook a meal without any stress. For a smooth, easy cooking experience, combination ovens such as the Breville smart oven are the way to go.
Most people associate cooking with traditional — not to mention large — ovens. Yet it doesn’t have to be that way. Increasingly, convection ovens are pushing the boundaries of cooking. Many perform the same functions as a typical oven, but they take up less space and carry a lower price tag.
What Is the Breville Smart Oven?
The Breville smart oven is a combination oven that can cook, toast, and roast all your favorite food.
Seen as an alternative to a traditional oven, the Breville range comprises many different models. At the lower end of the scale, there is the Breville Smart Oven BOV800XL. At the more expensive end of the scale is the Smart Oven Plus BOV810BSS, as well as the Smart Oven Pro BOV845BSS.
Although the models are all the same compact size, there are additional features available in the more expensive models.
- Element IQ delivers the right power at the right time and when adjusted to taste, remembers
- 9 present functions: Toast, bagel, bake, roast, broil, pizza, cookies, reheat and warm. Voltage: 110 to 120 Volts
- 1800 Watts with 5 quartz heating elements. Capacity: 6 Slice Toaster, 13 inch Inch Pizza. Voltage 110 120 Volts
- Features an interior oven light to keep an eye on your cooking.
- 10 pre-set cooking functions include: toast 6 slices, bagel, bake, roast, broil, pizza, cookies, reheat, Warm, slow cook
- Capacity: 6-slice toaster, 13" pizza
- Features an interior oven light to keep an eye on your cooking
- 10 pre set cooking functions include: Toast 6 slices, bagel, bake, roast, broil, pizza, cookies, reheat, warm, slow cook
- Capacity: 6 slice toaster, 13 inches pizza. Dimensions-18.5 x 14.5 x 11 inches
- Super Convection Technology: 2 speed convection fan (Super & regular) offers greater cooking control. Super convection...
- Precision Cooking & Element IQ: With Element IQ 6 Independent quartz heating elements move the power where it's needed...
- Air Fry & Dehydrate Presets: Why buy a stand alone air fryer or dehydrator when the Smart Oven Air can air fry french...
They say that good things come in small packages. The Breville smart oven is no exception, coming in at around 18.5 inches wide and 12.5 inches tall on the outside. It's not hard to find space for Breville brand.
- With element IQ 5 independent quartz heating elements move the power where it's needed most, above and below the food
- Each element adjusts automatically for the setting you choose, to deliver the right cooking temperature at the right...
- Features an interior oven light to keep an eye on your cooking. Voltage - 110 - 120 Volts
There are three separate dials in the control function. They regulate the oven’s various functions and preset options, as well as dials that allow you to set the oven’s temperature and cooking time.
It also couldn’t be easier to cook, with four simple cooking buttons. Together, the buttons control the start and end of the cooking and everything in between. For instance, you can tell the oven that you’re cooking food from frozen, you can set temperatures to Fahrenheit or Celsius, and you can turn the oven into a convection oven if you wish.
All these simple options, and the intuitive control over them that the Breville offers, mean that evenly-cooked food has never been easier to achieve.
No one wants to buy a dangerous appliance, and consideration should always be given to how safe an appliance is in your home. If you have small children, then you’ll want to be especially careful that any combination oven you have won’t pose a risk to them.
The Breville smart oven has a magnetic catch on its door, which partially pulls out the cooking rack on its own accord. This safety feature means you won’t have to put your hand in a hot oven to pull out your food. Additionally, there are mechanisms in place that prevent the oven rack from falling out of the oven.
Although a level of common sense will still be needed when using the oven, given the high temperatures inevitably involved, the Breville smart oven does assure peace of mind, as safety is a design feature.
As there are quite a few models within the Breville smart oven range, understandably there’s no single price.
As a general rule, you should expect to pay around $250 for a basic Breville smart oven. More advanced models carry a higher price tag.
Although the Breville smart oven is at the upper range of combination ovens in the market, it offers a lot of features for its price.
However, if you’re looking for a more entry-level combination oven, you can select cheaper ovens for around $100. It depends what you’re looking for in your oven.
If you decide that you’d like to purchase a Breville smart oven, or would like to research the prices offered by various vendors, there are many places you can look. For instance, one of the main places you can buy the oven is from Amazon. There are other sites as well, such as Walmart, Abt Electronics, and Bed Bath & Beyond.
How Does the Breville Smart Oven Compare to Other Major Brands?
The Breville smart oven is not a new player in the compact oven market. As such, there is plenty of competition to consider. Notable mentions include Cuisinart Chef’s Convection Toaster Oven TOB-260N, and Kenmore Elite Digital Countertop Convection Oven 76771.
- Spacious 0.95 cubic-foot capacity oven fits 13" pizza and 9" x 13" baking pan
- 1875 watts of power; 15 cooking functions, including innovative Dual Cook and Speed Convection; door sensor to activate...
- Digital controls with large blue backlit display and LED buttons; interior light; adjustable 2 hour timer and 2 hour...
- Convection technology ensures food is cooked evenly throughout
- Quartz heating technology for faster cooking
- LED display featuring 6 cooking functions
Although Breville smart oven has seen mainly positive reviews since its release, it’s always worth knowing whether its models can suit your needs, and what the competition has to offer.
With that in mind, we examined some of the key differentiators between the competitors, including safety, performance and price.
Emphasis on Safe Cooking
As noted above, Breville smart oven does offer some safety features, including a magnetic catch on the door. Thankfully, both Cuisinart and Kenmore have given some consideration as to how to make their ovens safe as well.
Although a more low-tech solution, Cuisinart ensures its oven doors are secure through the use of a hook. Kenmore, equally unwilling to compromise on safety, also has a safety catch. However, Kenmore has no automated option to pull out its oven racks.
Differences in Performance
How well an oven can cook, toast, or bake, is obviously a key item to consider. With that in mind, it’s worth knowing how the three ovens fare against each other when it comes to these basic cooking functions.
In terms of toasting, all three combination oven ranges performed very similarly. However, the Kenmore does appear to toast a bit faster than the other two models. So if speed is a key deciding factor for you, the Kenmore may beat out the Breville.
Moving on to roasting, the Cuisinart seems to offer a better overall roast compared to Breville and Kenmore. On the other side of the spectrum, Kenmore takes a little longer to get roasting but still produces a good result. This means that Breville is in the middle of the spectrum for both models.
Another benchmark for any oven is how well it can cook pizza — the ultimate in convenience and comfort food. Both Kenmore and Cuisinart models offer pizza stones within its price. However, you need to purchase a pizza stone separately for the Breville range. Alternatively, you can do away with pizza stones altogether and cook the pizzas directly in the combination oven.
How your pizza turns out will mainly depend on what settings you use on the Breville, Cuisinart, or Kenmore. But Kenmore appears to offer a more even cook. On the other hand, the quality of cook in Breville, could be slightly more even, but there’s not much difference between the two models.
The Pros and Cons of the Breville Smart Oven
As we saw in the comparison above, every combination oven has its unique features. This also means that every oven has areas where it can improve. We'll take a look at some of the key benefits and drawbacks of the Breville smart oven below.
The Breville smart oven range is a reliable range of combination ovens that deliver consistent results time and time again. With its compact space, the Breville smart oven still manages to make room to fit almost all items you’ll usually cook. What’s more, Breville range of products offers a wide range of cooking options, and its ease of use will be sure to win over many fans.